Chicken Pasta Salad
This Chicken Pasta Sala is a combination of Chicken salad (the kind that is great in pita bread and croissants) and Pasta salad with Italian dressing, noodles, and veggies. Both are great recipes on their own by the way…I should make them and add them to the blog.
Saying that this Chicken Pasta Salad is a combination of these two recipes is the only way I can explain it. It’s got the creaminess and the chicken from the chicken salad and it has the veggies and noodles from the pasta salad.
The creaminess in this salad comes from the mayo.
Personally, I remember too many experiences in my childhood where I made a sandwich but added too much mayo. Of course I ate it anyway because no way was I going to waste food! Mayo in small quantities can really compliment a sandwich but too much can really scar you. So, long story short, mayo just doesn’t sit well with me.
If you can’t relate to this, you will love this recipe just the way it is. But, if you are like me and prefer to get your creaminess from somewhere other than mayo, I would give plain Greek yogurt a try.
The taste might be too different if you replace all of the mayo with Greek yogurt but you might try out replacing half. It really depends on your preference so play around with the ratios so you can find a good balance.
As far as nutrition goes, this is a pretty well rounded meal. You will finish eating it feeling very satisfied if this is your main course. Its got your veggies, protein, grains, dairy, and lipids (fats).
But, the nutritional value of this dish is just a bonus.
I am a huge believer in finding a balance between serving your body and serving your mind when it comes to choosing your food.
For me, this recipe is a perfect balance of that for me. I love eating it, plus, it’s filled with lots of the essential nutrients my body needs to keep me functioning.
If you don’t like one of the ingredients in this recipe, I would suggest not just powering through because it’s “good for you”. Take it out so it doesn’t ruin a perfectly good dish (taste wise and nutrition wise).
Honestly, my number one suggestion is to just eat is straight. It’s kind of like eating lucky charms but with only the colorful marshmallows. You take smaller, slower bites to see which ones you got this time. The variety makes it fun and exciting:)
Other ways to enjoy:
- On toast/bread. It is especially good on a really hearty whole wheat bread.
- In a sandwich. Again, using bread that is hearty and whole wheat pairs nicely with this.
- In Pita bread. This is a fun way to enjoy this salad. Stuff some in the pocket of pita bread with a piece of crispy lettuce and it’s delicious.
Give it a try and I hope you love what you make!
Chicken Pasta Salad
- 6 oz Pasta noodles (radiatore, corkscrew macaroni, and rotini are good)
- 3 large Chicken breasts cooked & cubed
- ½ cup Zesty Italian salad dressing
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise (or plain greek yogurt)**
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- ½-1 Onion medium, finely diced
- ¾ cup Black olives sliced
- ½ Cucumber large, diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cook and cut chicken (I left mine in a crock-pot for about 3 hours on high)
- Cook pasta according to package and drain
- In a large bowl, mix chicken and Italian dressing with the hot macaroni and set aside to cool
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mayo, lemon juice and mustard
- Stir in the onions, olives, cucumbers, and celery
- Add and mix well into the pasta mixture and add salt to taste
- For best flavor refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- This is good served alone, in lettuce leaves, or as a sandwich filling. Enjoy!
I WANNA SEE!
When you make a recipe, take a picture, post it and tag me!