Banana Bread Pudding
This Banana Bread Pudding recipe was super easy to whip up and because it cooks for almost an hour, that gave me time to make dinner and finish other tasks in the meantime.
We loved this for dessert but you could also spoil yourself and have it for breakfast. I mean…it does have bananas, milk, eggs, bread, and all the things you were going to have for breakfast anyway.
I got this recipe from New York Times Cooking then adapted it.
For a less sweet version you could even lay off the caramel and Ice-cre….you know what…I changed my mind: If your going to make this, don’t leave out all the good stuff. I give you permission to piled it up with ice cream and caramel & enjoy every bite of it!
What is Banana Bread Pudding?
The name can be somewhat misleading but it is simply bread (pre-made, store bought) mixed with bananas (and other simple ingredients) To make a pudding-like dessert.
It is also very similar to a french toast bake except more fluffy & moist.
The fluffiness is due to the larger amount of eggs and the moistness comes from the milk. The ratios are just right so it is neither too airy or soggy.
Delicious Caramel Sauce
Another tasty part of this dessert/breakfast is the caramel taste which is amazing when paired with the banana. This comes from the caramel sauce that is drizzled on top but also from the brown sugar in the pudding. It caramelizes while in the oven and can be especially tasted on the edges!
Give it a try and I hope you love what you make!
Banana Bread Pudding
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 cups Bread cubed, Brioche is best but even stale bread works great
- 5 Bananas (ripe) peeled & cut into coins
- 1 tbsp Sugar
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 5 tbsp Butter unsalted
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 heaping tsp Molasses
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
Bread Pudding Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt
- To the bowl, add the cubed bread and mix until all of the bread has been soaked
- Leave that to soak while you line the bottom of a sprayed 2-quart baking dish (13 x 7in.) with banana coins.
- Mix the remaining banana coins in with the bread and spoon mixture into pan
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce (below)
- Remove pan from the oven and evenly distribute the sugar as well as half of the caramel sauce on the pudding.
- Return the pan back to the oven and bake for another 10-20 minutes, checking that the top is puffy and golden brown.
- This is best served warm with the remaining caramel sauce and Ice cream. Enjoy!
Caramel Sauce Instructions:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat
- Once the butter has melted, add the remaining caramel ingredients and whisk until the sauce has thickened (5-8 min.)
- Turn heat on the lowest setting to keep caramel warm until it is ready to serve. Be careful that it doesn't continue to cook.
I WANNA SEE!
When you make a recipe, take a picture, post it and tag me!